How to Pick a Truck Tent Mattress
Need a mattress that fits your truck tent just right?
In this article, we’ll help you choose a truck tent mattress that calls for both style and convenience.
- 1 WHAT IS A TRUCK TENT MATTRESS?
- 2 CAN I USE A REGULAR AIR MATTRESS ON MY TRUCK BED?
- 3 HOW MUCH WILL A TRUCK TENT MATTRESS COST?
- 4 WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TRUCK AIR MATTRESS AND A REGULAR AIR MATTRESS?
- 5 WHAT SIZE OF AIR MATTRESS DO I NEED FOR MY TRUCK?
- 6 WILL A QUEEN MATTRESS FIT IN A TRUCK BED?
- 7 HOW CAN I MAKE MY AIR MATTRESS MORE COMFORTABLE?
- 8 CONCLUSION
WHAT IS A TRUCK TENT MATTRESS?
A truck tent mattress is similar to your bedroom mattress except the fact that you put it on a truck bed or even inside your truck tent, and is slightly thinner than usual. It helps you get some rest while being on the go, whether you have to put an all nighter for hauling services or simply relaxing on a camping trip.
CAN I USE A REGULAR AIR MATTRESS ON MY TRUCK BED?
Yes, you can. You can use a standard air mattress because it fits majority of the truck models that are out in the market, provided that yours is one of them. Although if you have a truck with an extended cab, you should use an air mattress that’s expected to fill it, to maximize the space.
HOW MUCH WILL A TRUCK TENT MATTRESS COST?
Prices of truck tent mattresses depend on their various designs or features they have. They can be broken down into three categories:
- Around $70 – very affordable and multipurpose. They can be used even on other types of vehicles including SUVs but doesn’t have built in-pumps.
- Around $100 – with wheel well cutouts for a custom fit design for a quicker loading and unloading.
- Around $200 and up – a bit expensive but can be custom fitted, slightly thicker, with air coils for comfort, and built-in pumps for easy inflation.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TRUCK AIR MATTRESS AND A REGULAR AIR MATTRESS?
Truck air mattresses and regular air mattresses may have a lot of resemblance from each other but there are slight differences that make them distinct on their own. The image above shows some of them.
WHAT SIZE OF AIR MATTRESS DO I NEED FOR MY TRUCK?
The size of your air mattress is dependent on that of your truck bed’s length which is determined by the brand, model, and year it was made. While these things often vary, the most common truck bed sizes are patterned after the following:
- 5’ – truck beds that are simply called short beds or standard beds because of their small cargo capacity.
- 5’ – truck beds commonly referred to as standard full-size short beds because of their average or normal cargo capacity.
- 8’ – truck beds that are generally known as full-size long beds and are used for carrying larger items.
Take note, even if the sizes of the truck beds are literally self-explanatory, they can still be a little longer in reality than what’s indicated in your truck manufacturer’s manual. This is because truck model still dictates the truck bed size where an allowance is usually made for truck bed covers and items that are supposed to be placed in it.
WILL A QUEEN MATTRESS FIT IN A TRUCK BED?
Yes, almost all truck bed sizes will be able to accommodate a queen-size mattress because of its typical size which is about 60’x80.” If ever your truck bed happens to be smaller than expected, you need to automatically open or put down your tailgate to give more space for such a truck air mattress size.
HOW CAN I MAKE MY AIR MATTRESS MORE COMFORTABLE?
You can make your air mattress more comfortable by adding a type of tent mattress foam called memory foam on top of it. The good thing about memory foams is they’re made from a polyurethane material that easily adjusts to the shape of your body. As a result, when you toss or turn, your body’s properly supported and you won’t feel stiff. However, they become really hard under cold temperatures.
Another thing you can put on your air mattress is a sleeping bag. Sleeping bags are like sausage-shaped cocoons where you can slip yourself inside. They’re typically an outdoor version of normal blankets because they’re thicker to provide you with more warmth during cold-weather conditions.
Choosing the right truck tent mattress is all about finding a good compromise on look, comfort, and fitment. As long as you know what you need and want, you can never go wrong. What other factors do you look for in buying a truck tent mattress? Don’t be a stranger and comment below.