Many vehicle accidents happen on and off the road and ATVs are no exception.
As a matter of fact, a study conducted by the J. Allan Brown Law Office states about 135,000 people are injured yearly because of ATV accidents that include body injuries.
That’s why in this article, we guide you through choosing the right ATV handguards as part of your safety.
Join us for a ride as we further explore this topic.
WHAT ARE ATV HANDGUARDS?
ATV handguards are the small, shield-like armors that you see in front of regular ATV handlebars. They protect your knuckles and fingers just as ATV helmets protect your head against bumps from large and unexpected obstacles along the way.
WHY DO YOU NEED ATV HANDGUARDS?
As the name itself says, ATV handguards are spread out in the shape of a letter V, starting from the center to the tips of handlebars (ending in flaps that serve as deflectors). While they protect your hands from sudden impact, they do the following too:
- Prevent your ATV front brakes and clutches from getting damaged.
- Prevent your ATV front brakes and clutches from unnecessary activation.
- Help you maintain proper grip despite varying weather conditions like wind, rain, and heat.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ATV HANDGUARDS?
There are 3 types of ATV handguards based on composition or where they’re made from. These are:
- Plastic ATV handguards – are inexpensive and widely used.
- Aluminum ATV handguards – are light and corrosion resistant.
- Stainless steel ATV handguards – are corrosion and impact resistant.
WHAT SIZE OF ATV HANDGUARDS DO I NEED?
Sizes of ATV handguards can either be universal 7/8” (small) or vehicle specific 1-1/8” (large). You can easily identify which is the correct size based on your ATVs’ handlebar diameter via a tape measure or use Rocky Mountain ATVMC’s guide for verification purposes.
Below is a table showing the sizes of handlebars from some popular ATV brands.
|OEM Handlebar Size
|Sportsman 1000 XP
|Grizzly 700 4×4
|650 H1 4×4 Automatic
HOW DO YOU INSTALL ATV HANDGUARDS?
Installing ATV handguards depend on the ATV handguard design. There are two types of ATV handguards as mentioned below.
- Open ATV handguards – are those that cover only one side of your ATV handlebars. They’re also known as the basic style because most of them are only secured underneath the handlebars via a clamp.
- Wrap-around ATV handguards – are those that “coil” your ATV handlebars. This means they’re mounted both in and out of your handlebars via a clamp close to the center and loops to the handlebar tips, covering the clutch and front brakes.
General ATV Handguard Installation Rules
Here are some of the things you must remember when setting up your ATV handguards whether they’re open or wrap-around.
HOW MUCH ARE ATV HANDGUARDS?
The cost of ATV handguards is mainly determined according to the ATV handguards’ type or style and their composition.
|ATV Handguard Material
|Type of ATV Handguard
Skimping on ATV handguards can be a tempting idea. However, it’s a part of your ATV safety that must never be taken for granted. Having broken fingers is still an injury that can inflict traumatic consequences if not taken seriously. Comment below and tell us the kind of ATV handguards you’re planning to buy.