Having second thoughts as to what kind of floor liners fits your truck?
In this article, we’ll help you delve into the basics of choosing the right floor liners, in order to prevent dust and other debris from invading your rig.
- 1 WHAT DOES A FLOOR LINER DO?
- 2 ARE FLOOR LINERS WORTH IT?
- 3 DO YOU NEED CUSTOM FLOOR LINERS FOR YOUR VEHICLE OR ARE THEY UNIVERSAL?
- 4 WHAT ARE FLOOR LINERS MADE OF?
- 5 HOW MUCH DO FLOOR LINERS COST?
- 6 WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FLOOR LINER AND A FLOOR MAT?
- 7 WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF USING FLOOR LINERS?
- 8 CONCLUSION
WHAT DOES A FLOOR LINER DO?
Floor liners are like thin sheets of rug that you put on top of your truck’s carpets so they’re protected against mud, snow, etc., that your shoes accidentally invite. They usually have grooved surfaces to trap the debris, but unlike floor mats that easily slide when stepped on, they have anti-skid marks at the bottom to keep them grounded.
ARE FLOOR LINERS WORTH IT?
Yes, they are. Since floor liners can follow even the most irregularly-shaped patterns of your truck’s floor, it means they’re hardly penetrated by dirt. Although modern-day floor mats can now be designed in a similar way, it’s originally the floor liners which have such a special property that also lets you lock them in areas regardless of awkward positions.
DO YOU NEED CUSTOM FLOOR LINERS FOR YOUR VEHICLE OR ARE THEY UNIVERSAL?
Floor liners aren’t your usual carpet covers because they’re somehow molded at the bottom to help them easily shield a large area of your vehicle floor. For example, if you need a carpet cover that runs from one passenger seat at the back to another, floor liners are the one’s you should get.
On the contrary, if you need a carpet cover that stays just below your driver’s seat, then their counterpart, the universal floor mats would be the ideal preference because of their uniform, flat-shaped bottom.
WHAT ARE FLOOR LINERS MADE OF?
Truck floor liners come in 4 basic types based on composition with each having its own perks:
- Plastic rubber floor liners – are known for easy cleaning. Their elasticity is also highly valued because it lets them return to their original shape despite of varying forms of abuse.
- Thermoplastic rubber filler floor liners – are floor liners that don’t get damaged when under the heat of the sun.
- Hybrid plastic floor liners – are those with more heat resistance but have slight slippery surfaces which may need extra precaution while in use.
- Regular plastic floor liners – are floor liners that are affordable but impact resistant.
HOW MUCH DO FLOOR LINERS COST?
Purchasing truck floor liners normally hits $200 and can go up to $300 or more depending on the vehicle brand/model that you’re using, including the features that come with them like:
- accurate fitting
- multi-level channels
One outstanding feature of floor liners is being normally custom fitting. This means they seamlessly run across your truck’s different floor surfaces. But because they’re from artificial rubber, their surface can be quite rough.
On the other hand, floor mats generally have a uniform structure making them often universal fitting for just the typical truck floors. But unlike floor liners, they have a real rubber surface that gives them a smooth feel.
Deciding which of the two is better really depends on your preferences.
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF USING FLOOR LINERS?
While floor liners can offer many obvious benefits for truck owners, they also have some downsides that are worth note taking to prevent users from encountering an unpleasant surprise later. Some of them are:
- Using factory floor mat hooks that raise them a bit and allow minor dirt and water accumulation.
- Sides or edges sometimes roll and can interfere with the accelerator pedal.
- Trimming excess sides might be necessary.
Choosing floor liners for your truck may be a big step from the normal floor mat option. But doing so gives your truck additional protection and a wider coverage which includes even the hard-to-reach spots. Did we forget to discuss other matters on floor liners? Tell us what you think by leaving a comment below.